Today in class we had a guest speaker visit. He launched the Port Meadow Hedgefund in 2014, and has since continued. One thing I found really interesting was how he mentioned the classes he wished he had taken prior to working full time: financial management, learning how to learn and improving one's memory, working with others and embracing diverse opinions. I thought this was nice to hear as it emphasizes the importance of taking a class like personal finance- where we learn real life skills that we can apply in the near future and for the rest of our lives.
Another thing he talked about that I found extremely interesting was how he is currently learning Japanese, Chinese, and Arabic. Even learning one language as a high schooler can be difficult- his commitment to learning all 3 is inspiring, and he also stressed how large of a role language plays. I am currently learning Chinese at school, and am able to understand as well as read and write most Korean, but would like to learn one or two more languages in the years to come. One possibility for me would be to self study Japanese or Spanish on the side while I'm in college, and hopefully this will bring advantages to myself.
In addition, I found it really interesting to hear Mr. Pershad talk to us about his educational experience, as well as how he stressed the importance of reading. Throughout this semester, Mr. Bisset has encouraged us to read at least 15 minutes a day, claiming that this will eventually make us better/more knowledgable people. Therefore, hearing Mr. Pershad reinforce this belief was comforting, knowing that successful people also put reading on a pedestal.
No comments:
Post a Comment