Wednesday, 30 September 2015

Observed / Grid Technique Self Portrait Drawing

In class, we had to create a self portrait by first looking at a mirror, then using a grid technique to help bring more detail and depth into our drawings. Using the observing technique- placing a mirror in front of you and drawing what your face looks like, was a lot harder than I expected it to be. It's difficult to make sure that the placement of the details on your face are in the right area, and to see where the light hits or where the shadows are. However, it was interesting to see how my drawing turned out because although it didn't look exactly like me, I found it interesting that I had managed to draw somewhat of a face.


Our second assignment was to draw a self portrait using the grid technique. We edited our pictures to make it easier to see the highlights and lowlights of our faces. We then drew a grid on both our picture and the paper, and used it to "copy" the details of our faces from the picture to the paper. This technique made it a lot easier to focus on specific areas of the face, and transfer it onto the drawing. I found this method time consuming, but in the end I enjoyed the process just because I had never used the technique before and in my opinion it worked a lot better than using a mirror.


No comments:

Post a Comment