Tuesday, 8 December 2015

Collagraph Print


In class, we were assigned to create a collagraph print. We achieved this by taking a small rectangle of cardboard and attaching various items to it, such as leaves, sequins, bubble wrap, and other materials which would leave a design/pattern when we print it. I chose to go to outside the classroom to pick out a few leaves, because I thought the pattern on them would transfer well onto the paper. I also used the ribbed side of cardboard as it had a nice striped pattern.

Once we attached all of our items to the board, we began printing.
We set up stations: Wet + Dry. In the wet stations, we applied water based paint to our collagraphs. We then moved to the dry stations, where we would press down on the paper so that our prints would transfer.

 Once my collagraphs had dried, I chose to embellish one of my prints very minimally with mixed media. I chose to simply enhance the color of the print by making messy lines using markers, following the shape of the prints. One thing I noticed that I needed to be careful doing was attaching the items to the board, as they needed to be very secure so that when we applied paint on them, they wouldn't fall off. Another challenge was making sure that the collagraph would print successfully. This was achieved by applying equal pressure with a baren. all around the paper when printing to make sure that every pattern was transferred onto the paper. My successes were definitely my second print (blue + green) because they turned out how I expected them to. If I were to do this again, I would try to use a wider variety of prints.

No comments:

Post a Comment