Tuesday, 1 December 2015

Abstract Nylon Sculpture


In class, we were assigned to use wire to create an abstract nylon sculpture. Using a plastic pot as a base, we bent wires through the top of it to create the basic shape of our sculpture. I found this challenging as the using thick wire is difficult to work with. Once we had finished shaping our wires to our liking, we took a piece of nylon fabric and stretched it over the structure, being careful not to tear the material whilst doing so. We then used gesso to paint over the nylon fabric. Making sure the entire structure was covered in the gesso paint, we allowed our sculptures to dry before spray painting them. Once our sculptures had dried, we moved outside to begin spray painting them. We were able to choose the color paint we wanted to use, then from a distance, began spraying our sculptures. I chose to use the chrome color, (silver) as well as blue and purple. We then left our sculptures to dry once more. Once they were completely dried, we took needles and began threading through the nylon. This was another challenge for me as I don't typically sew. I used a white thread, as well as a light blue.

My challenges, as I stated before, were shaping the wires and threading through the nylon fabric. I found that sometimes the piece of thread would be too short, or that it was difficult for the needle to pass through the fabric due to a thick amount of paint. My successes, however, were spray painting the sculpture as I thought it turned out pretty good. If I were to do this again, I would make sure to create spaces between the wires that were bigger, so that sewing would be easier.




No comments:

Post a Comment