The topic of my project is Women’s Rights. My theme is how literature and journalism can be used to spread awareness and incite revolution.
As I was researching different topics and important people in history, I came across many feminists and women’s right’s activists. Feminism is a topic that has been brought up many times during various class discussions so I thought it would be interesting to learn more about women’s right’s activists and feminism in history. Since we have been studying civil rights for the past few months in social studies, I thought about the rights of other people as well. This led me to becoming more engaged in learning about how feminism has evolved and the journey that many women faced in history.
I researched my topic by first searching “Gloria Steinem” in google. I took notes about Gloria’s early life, as well as how she became invested in the women’s rights movement. I then looked for different sources and images that I could find. I looked for different books that I have access to and attempted to find them. Then I went to the SAS Middle School Library to check out the book that I found, as well as borrowing a book that Mr. Elms suggested from Mrs. Clark's room.
I chose to create a documentary because I enjoy editing videos on iMovie and creating different films, as a result of taking video class. I think a documentary is a good way to clearly and easily inform the audience in a concise manner, while teaching them more about the topic. Since documentaries normally include many images and videos, I thought it would be a good idea to make one since I was able to find a large variety of images and videos related to my topic. Since I have worked a lot with making videos and short films, I thought that making a documentary would be the best option for me.
My topic fits into our unit theme, Civil War to Civil Rights: Protest & Perseverance,
because it relates to people’s rights. The definition of Civil Rights is “the rights of citizens to political and social freedom and equality.” For many years, women have been treated less equally than men. Women were not allowed to vote, apply to certain jobs, etc. During our unit, we have learned about slavery and African American rights. The African Americans were discriminated against, and although it is not as obvious, women were discriminated as well. Even today, in certain countries, women still struggle to fight for their rights.
Your project is very informative and I can see the importance of Gloria Steinem. I loved the song you picked for the background because it wasn't very distracting and it fit the mood of your topic. I enjoyed the photos that you picked as well as the information. You expressed that she was also criticised by other feminists, which is also an important fact to include because it shows that she wasn't just criticised by males. I like how you chose to put a excerpt of her talking at the beginning, because it gives your documentary a more professional feel and its a great way to start it off. Overall I enjoyed it very much.
ReplyDeleteThe video in the beginning of your video was a very good hook. It introduced the person you were researching. Also, the music in the background went with what you were saying and the whole video was moving very smoothly. I really enjoyed watching it!
ReplyDeleteI love how you started off with a video. It gave us a powerful image of Gloria. I like how you put her quotes through out your video and gave a lot of background information. Good job! It connects with our topic because we were both talking about powerful women who changed the people's mindset of women. Both of ours were shunned by other feminists.
ReplyDeleteWell done! You balanced your music, dialogue, photos, and movie clips perfectly. Your music was not distracting and fit the mood. You made a very clear modern connection, and your information was well organised and presented. I especially loved to see you using video clips of her speeches; it made her seem more real. Very well done.
ReplyDeleteI really like how you explain on what she has done and it kind of felt like there was a timeline in my head explaining about all the events. I really feel that you have really gone being the code of conduct. My favourite part is when you added some of the third party content to really make your documentary credible and informational. Great Job Elena
ReplyDeleteAkash