I held my breath as I leaped and extended my arms in an attempt to grasp the high bar. My feet hooked the wooden bar and I tumbled to the ground, straining my back and landing flat on the ground, a gasping, panting mess. I inhaled and exhaled frantically as my teammates surrounded me. I kept my eyes locked on the pale white ceiling, trying to steady my breathing.
“Are you okay?”
I began nodding, but immediately regretting the action as pain shot through me. My coach handed a ice pack to me and I accepted as I held the coldness against my back where most of the pain was focused. I propped myself up against the cold metal pole as I struggled to breathe. I watched my the others continue practicing their tumbling and I silently scolded myself for making such a simple yet impactful mistake.
As I kept my eyes on the thin wooden bar, I was determined to jump to the high bar cleanly. I steadied myself by holding on to the silver pole, trying to stand up. I groaned under my breath and sat down again as I felt the pain in my back once again. I couldn’t do it. Not today. I would have to wait, and it would be more painful than the pain in my back.
Days passed and when monday came around, I was determined to get back on track and complete my usual training. As I pushed open the two yellow doors that led to the gym, I took a deep breath as the cold air from the AC hit my face. I sprinted across the blue spring flooring and flipped and tumbled. Then came time for bars. I dusted the white chalk on my hands and clapped them to clear off the excess powder. I placed my hands on the wooden bar, swinging my legs to create momentum. I got into position, kicked up and placed my feet on top of the bar. I swung my arms back and leaped for the high bar. A feeling of relief and content warmed my heart and I completed my routine. I was proud of myself. Instead of giving up on that trick, I persevered and kept trying until it was accomplished. I did my final pullover and released my grip on the bar. Landing cleanly, I exhaled deeply and smiled to myself.
No comments:
Post a Comment